What if I notice an officially closed record in the 1939 Register that I believe should be open?


There are several reasons why a record may be officially closed and as the register is constantly updated, more records will become available. You can read more about this here.

We provide a free Evidence of Death checking service for all Findmypast subscribers (World and Britain) via an online form. Subscription information can be found here. Subscribers must be signed in before completing a form to request an officially closed record to be opened.


We have a dedicated evidence-checking team to review all requests. We aim to process all requests and send confirmation of the outcome within 10 working days (subject to demand) , starting the day after the request being submitted. 

You will need to conduct a search for that person on the site to find the record. If you cannot find a person you believe is recorded in the Register, the record may be officially closed.

You need to prove that individuals listed in the records are deceased in order to submit your request to us and for the record(s) to be opened. We can only accept a copy of an official death certificate or overseas equivalent so please ensure you have this documentation before proceeding. The only suitable form of evidence is an official death certificate (files supported: .jpg, .png, .gif). If we do not receive this valid proof of death, we will be unable to proceed with a search.

You can find more information about providing proof of death here

Additional information can be provided such as siblings, occupation, evacuee or any other relevant information that may help us to search the data.

You also need to provide your contact details so we can get in touch with you to confirm the status of your request and to request more information if required.

Findmypast reserves the right to limit the number of requests that a subscriber can request.

If you are not a Findmypast subscriber, please contact The National Archives to request a search of closed records within the 1939 Register.

Search FAQ's for more answers

If this doesn't answer your question, enter a search term below and click 'Search'.

Or contact customer services here.