- Search Military records Find your ancestors in our military collection
- Browse Memory BankRead the stories in the findmypast memory bank
- History of Anzac Day Find out more on the origins of Anzac Day
- Military History Articles Read articles by Military experts
- Boer War Learn more about the Boer War
- First World War Learn more about World War I
- Second World War Learn more about World War II
- Korean War Learn more about the Korean War
- Vietnam War Learn more about the Vietnam War
- Photos View wartime photos
- Videos Watch videos on the wars
- Free Digital Magazine Download the findmypast and Inside History Magazine
- Ask an Expert Send in your questions for our experts
- Blog Read our blog and stay up to date
- Inside History Magazine Read about our partner in this project
Herbert Norman May
by Michael May
My Great Uncle Herbert enlisted at the age of 21 and was a member of the 15th Battalion Australian Army where he held the rank of Lance Corporal. Within two weeks of the initial landing at Anzac Cove in Gallipoli (25th April 1915) Herbert was killed in action on the 9th March 1915. He was buried at the cemetery at GALLIPOLI 23. Johnston's Jolly.
Unfortunately I know little more details than this. I have attached a photo of Herbert which was probably taken in Sydney before he sailed to Cairo.
Photo of Herbert Norman May.