- Search Military records Find your ancestors in our military collection
- Browse Memory BankRead the stories in the findmypast memory bank
- History of Anzac Day Find out more on the origins of Anzac Day
- Military History Articles Read articles by Military experts
- Boer War Learn more about the Boer War
- First World War Learn more about World War I
- Second World War Learn more about World War II
- Korean War Learn more about the Korean War
- Vietnam War Learn more about the Vietnam War
- Photos View wartime photos
- Videos Watch videos on the wars
- Free Digital Magazine Download the findmypast and Inside History Magazine
- Ask an Expert Send in your questions for our experts
- Blog Read our blog and stay up to date
- Inside History Magazine Read about our partner in this project
by Anthony Andrews
This is my mother with her uncle Bill Sweetland after his return from World War One.
10th Battalion, 3rd Reinforcement
Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A54 Runic on 19 February 1915
War service: Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front
Contracted enteric fever and pneumonia, Gallipoli, 30 October 1915; invalided to Gibraltar; returned to duty, 3 June 1916.
Wounded in action, Mouquet Farm, Pozieres, France, 21 August 1916; invalided to Paris Plage Hospital, thence to 3rd Auxiliary Hospital, Dartford, England.
Disembarked Australia, 2 April 1917; discharged (medically unfit), 11 June 1917.
Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal