- Search Military records Find your ancestors in our military collection
- Browse Memory BankRead the stories in the findmypast memory bank
- History of Anzac Day Find out more on the origins of Anzac Day
- Military History Articles Read articles by Military experts
- Boer War Learn more about the Boer War
- First World War Learn more about World War I
- Second World War Learn more about World War II
- Korean War Learn more about the Korean War
- Vietnam War Learn more about the Vietnam War
- Photos View wartime photos
- Videos Watch videos on the wars
- Free Digital Magazine Download the findmypast and Inside History Magazine
- Ask an Expert Send in your questions for our experts
- Blog Read our blog and stay up to date
- Inside History Magazine Read about our partner in this project
Lieutenant Dorothy Deall and Corporal Arthur Whiter
by Rosemary Daly
Both my parents were active in World War 2 on hospital ships, my mother as a nursing sister and my dad as a medical orderly. They looked after injured soldiers from all over the place and even brought prisoners of war back from Asian barracks.
Things they told me were dreadful and every Anzac Day they would dress up and wear their sprigs of Rosemary and march proudly and remembered the ones that did not come back.
I grew up in that time and understood a lot of what was going on and why it was so important to them.
They are both gone now and every Anzac Day I think of them and all the people that they spoke of from the war days.