- Search Military records Find your ancestors in our military collection
- Browse Memory BankRead the stories in the findmypast memory bank
- History of Anzac Day Find out more on the origins of Anzac Day
- Military History Articles Read articles by Military experts
- Boer War Learn more about the Boer War
- First World War Learn more about World War I
- Second World War Learn more about World War II
- Korean War Learn more about the Korean War
- Vietnam War Learn more about the Vietnam War
- Photos View wartime photos
- Videos Watch videos on the wars
- Free Digital Magazine Download the findmypast and Inside History Magazine
- Ask an Expert Send in your questions for our experts
- Blog Read our blog and stay up to date
- Inside History Magazine Read about our partner in this project
William Thomas and Albert Edward Hendry
by Margaret Wilson
William Thomas Hendry born 2 November 1876 in Koyuga Echuca Victoria;
Enlisted: 14 September 1914 at Helena Vale (Blackboy Hill) Western Australia
Pte No 74 16 Battalion A.I.F.
William wrote poems for wounded servicemen in France to send home and other poems were published in the Perth Press. It appears that William served in France before Gallipoli and before enlisting spent time in the goldfields of Coolgardie & Kalgoorlie where he also wrote poetry.
Poems included: A Christmas Toast (11 December 1911) Empire Day (24 May 1913) The Prosperity of Belfast – Song of the Golden Mile – Fighting for Liberty (30 October 1914) Woman - A poem in W’s – Questions – Scott (the explorer) A Summer Idyll – Sailing UP in an Aeroplane. Killed in Action: Gallipoli 2 May 1915
12 April 1915 proceeded to join M.E.F. Gallipoli Peninsula 25 April 1915 Landed at Gallipoli 2 May 1915 Killed in Action along with 1804 others killed in May
In total over 8700 Australians & New Zealanders lost their lives at Gallipoli.
No Known Grave
Lone Pine Memorial Panel 53 “…….age 38 ……native of Koyuga Victoria.
Memorial Panel in Kings Park Perth. William Henry (AKA Hendry)
Albert Edward Hendry was born in August 1881 in Echuca Victoria
Enlisted: 20 September 1915 at Helena Vale (Blackboy Hill) Western Australia – Joined in Coolgardie WA 17 September 1915 but took oath at Blackboy Hill 20 September 1915.
1914 address was Union Coffee Palace William Street Perth WA. May have married Mary Menzies.
Gunner 2nd FA 13th Reinforcements Maribyrnong. Killed in action. “In the field France” 27 February 1917 10 Feb 1916 Cairo 14 April 1916 posted to 112th Battery at Serapeum June 3 1916 H.M.T. “Elele” to Alexandria – June 13 1916 Marseilles 28 October 1916 promoted to temp Bombardier in the field Vice 3684 Bdr. Burns (24th F.A) 25 January 1917 transferred to 12th FAB from 24th FAB (4TH Div Artillery) 27 February 1917 Killed in action “in the field France”
1920 photo of grave sent to next of kin.