- Search Military records Find your ancestors in our military collection
- Browse Memory BankRead the stories in the findmypast memory bank
- History of Anzac Day Find out more on the origins of Anzac Day
- Military History Articles Read articles by Military experts
- Boer War Learn more about the Boer War
- First World War Learn more about World War I
- Second World War Learn more about World War II
- Korean War Learn more about the Korean War
- Vietnam War Learn more about the Vietnam War
- Photos View wartime photos
- Videos Watch videos on the wars
- Free Digital Magazine Download the findmypast and Inside History Magazine
- Ask an Expert Send in your questions for our experts
- Blog Read our blog and stay up to date
- Inside History Magazine Read about our partner in this project
William Thomas Cole-Hinam
by Marlene Poletti
My Grandfather, William Thomas Cole Hinam, was my mothers father. These are photos that my grandfather sent home to Wales to his sister during WWI, who has sent them onto me and I treasure them.
My Grandfather was attached to the 1st Australians and The Emperial Core.
In the photo on the right, he is the guy in the bottom right hand corner. This picture was taken in Australia before they all left for overseas, apparently they all went to school in Durkam Rd, Newport Wales before he came to Australia.
The photo below is self explanatory, these were the Australian Camel Core with sherpas on the way to Gallipoli. The Photo on the camels, he is the middle one.
The third photo below is a post card with 4 different landing photos ; Gaba Tape, Anzac, Anzac Cove and Watsons Pier .