- World Records
- Full list of Australia and New Zealand records
- Churches & Religion
- Salem Messenger 1891-1913
SALEM MESSENGER 1891-1913
Do you have Baptist ancestry?
The "Salem Messenger" was a magazine produced by the Salem Baptist Church in Gumeracha, South Australia - published quarterly from 1891 to 1913. However, it served a much wider area than just Gumeracha, ranging through much of the north-east hills and even to Mannum and further afield. We've digitised the only known surviving copies of this remarkable newspaper - 62 of about 90 issues that were originally published.
- Church news - meeting reports, preaching plans, anniversaries etc
- Information about people - births, marriages, deaths, obituaries, reports of comings and goings, health etc.
- A four part history of the church from 1843 to 1891
- Historical notes on other hills townships and churches
- Community news generally
- Advertisements for many local businesses
- Comments on developments and issues of the time ("The introduction of mowing machines into the district has not pleased the working men")
- Comments on election candidates and prospects