Once you are logged in, you can navigate to the 1921 Census.
- Select ‘Search’ from the navigation bar at the top of the page
- Within the Search menu, select 1921 Census.
This will take you through to the 1921 Census search form.
- There are a variety of search fields, all of which are optional. If you have them; names, birth years, and locations in 1921 are a great place to start. If you do not have all this information or have more that could help you narrow your results, try using some of the other search fields available.
- Some search fields give suggestions as you type and adjusting the search radius, can broaden or narrow the area you are searching for that person.
- The first and last name variants tool helps you take account of spelling variation and record errors. For example, selecting name variants when searching for 'Katherine' means 'Kate' and 'Catherine' will also be included in your search results. It's optional but is already pre-selected for first names.
As you fill out search fields the search button will preview how many results there are. When you are satisfied with your search terms select view results.
- The search results will show a list of all the possible people who match your search criteria. You can view some of the information extracted from the record to help you determine which result is the person you are looking for. You can also preview the transcription or record image by hovering over the transcript or image symbol on each search result. This will reveal some of the names of the people in the record.
- It’s important to be as confident as possible in your selected record prior to purchasing as refunds cannot be provided for incorrect selections. Make use of previous census records or birth and marriage records, to look for other household members’ names which might be shown on the preview hover.
- If you do not think the search has found who you are looking for you can further refine it using the search fields on screen or selecting advanced options to return to the full search form.